Saturday, May 14, 2011

Horace Goodhue: Indian Bead-Weaving Patterns

I was just reminded by Mandy at Beads for Brains: 365 of one of my all time favorite books: Horace Goodhue’s Indian Bead-Weaving Patterns: Chain-Weaving Designs and Bead Loom Weaving-An Illustrated "How-To" Guide
Horace Goodhue Book Cover
I purchased my first copy of this book in the late 1970’s at the museum at Cahokia Mounds.  Cahokia Mounds are the largest mounds north of Mexico and they were designated a World Heritage Site in 1982.  If you are ever near St. Louis take an afternoon and go for a visit.

I have since purchased two more copies of this book, and if need be I will purchase it again.  It is not fancy.  There are no color photos and in what photos do exist the details are difficult to discern.  The diagrams are hand drawn.  Mr. Goodhue developed his own acronyms, e.g. TB for turn back.  Nonetheless, this will always be my favorite beading book.  Apparently I am not alone in my fondness for Mr. Goodhue as the first review in Amazon is by none other than Diane Fitzgerald.

When I picked up this book, I was a beginner.  I am absolutely sure that instructions these days are a better vetted for clarity and the diagrams are more informative.   Yet, I still recommend it for beaders at all stages.  This book includes instructions for Oglala Butterfly, Daisies, Ladders, Peyote, and much more. 

One of my favorite patterns is the Apache Leaf pattern.  It makes a beautiful short necklace with just a simple embellishment.  I am sorry I cannot post a picture my necklace has been misplaced after 30 years! 

I am also quite fond of the pointed zigzag which makes a great band for supporting a focal.  It is a quick stitch with substantial width that lies nicely on the neck.  I used this stitch for the neck strap of the necklace pictured below. 

Pointed Zig Zag neck strap from Horace Goodhue's instructions
This book can be picked up directly from the publisher: Bead-Craft or from your favorite used book dealer.

1 comment:

  1. That necklace is beautiful! I love the colors, can't wait to find this book. I wonder if Diane Fitzgerald used it as a reference for her Zulu beadwork book (I forget the exact title)??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing. I had to turn off anonymous comments because spam was being posted.